I suggest you ...

Allow comma-separated values for segment search

Using a range for zip codes isn't precise enough. Pasting a comma separated value list or importing an XML to the rule logic would help. The goal would be to create segments for each of the shipping zones from our warehouse to custom message customers of when our shipping cutoff dates and times are for their specific mailing address for the holiday season. GeoIP is not exact enough either.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brandon PortnoffBrandon Portnoff shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Viktor BeallViktor Beall shared a merged idea: Fix number field formating in webforms or add "zipcode" field type.  ·   · 
    BrandonBrandon shared a merged idea: Segments: Allow field matching by regular expressions  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Viktor BeallViktor Beall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reference: Support Case #: 00108185

There is (in my opinion) a huge issue with targeting customer zip code information, for which we would prefer a fix asap.

We collect zip code information outside of Bronto's internal geo-tracking and use this customer-supplied geographic information to target based on location. There is a problem however, because the bronto supplied ZIP field is a text field, you cannot target a range. To input every single zip code is way too time intensive and unrealistic; there are thousands of zips.
        My solution for this was to create a numerical field for zipcode targeting purposes. The way I target ranges is to have rules that say grab records with a zipcode that's "greater than x; but less than y". This worked ok until I saw 2 issues.

One being that all leading 0's are removed, and the range doesn't incorporate 9 digit zips as well. Thus, when a customer goes to their preference center, they could hypothetically just see 2-3 digits if they have several leading zeros. This is confusing for our customers. Another issue is that when a user loads their preference center, Bronto automatically adds a comma after 3 digits in number fields. While this is incorrect of a zipcode, the worst issue is that if a customer goes to save their preference center, they are not able to because of the comma that bronto injects into the number field after 3 digits. Thus, even though the customer does nothing wrong but load their preference page, bronto adds a comma upon load which prevents the customer from savng their preferences altogether (unless they remove it).
        I see a few solutions:
        1. remove formatting for numerical fields
        2. create a zipode-specific field that resolves these issues as zip fields would be handled differently.
        3. add range targeting to text fields.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've also come across this issue. We mail customers local to our stores based on a drive time from our postcode, GeoIP with mileage isn't accurate enough.

It would be excellent to have the ability to import a list or manually create a statement (IF POSTCODE CONTAINS x OR x OR x...) to produce the segment.

Copying/pasting each postcode individually into the segment builder is a long old task.

• Jon MorganJon Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bumping this one. We just joined Bronto and while I love just about everything else, this is one thing that I feel is a hinderance. We are a southern California business that targets SoCal addressees for our local events. I have a list of 60+ zip codes that currently have to be setup across 3 separate segments. Then when we send the email, we send it to all three segments. I'm definitely glad that a workaround like this exists but it sure would be nice to expand the segments to allow more than 20 values.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When creating a segment, it would be really helpful if we could match field certain values by using a regular expression (regexp). This would have saved me from adding a bunch of or's to our segment.

Regular expressions are powerful and (in the right hands) can save a lot of time.

Feedback and Knowledge Base