I suggest you ...

Create dynamic field for promotion codes

To be used within HTML code for emails, whether manually uploaded or within templates, a Special Tag like %%promo%% would be inserted. Upon composing this new message using this code the sender can enter in a Promotion code that would populate the special tag %%promo%%. Much like how a subject line is handled for each email, you can enter in a new promo code for each email you send out regardless of recipient.

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LouisaLouisa shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Steve HillSteve Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been wanting this for a long time as well. I've envisioned this very similar to what Todd describes - having some type of flat file configured just the way Bronto wants it that contains rows of unique, virtual gift card (or promo code) numbers that are feed into each message until depleted. Maybe when sending the message, we could specify where the file resides and it would be our responsibility to ensure it contains enough codes.

• LouisaLouisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Content tags are not an ideal solution so I am still hoping for this to be resolved. Thank you!

• Todd ShimkusTodd Shimkus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just about to propose a very similar idea on this board, but this one hits the nail on the head. Bronto, you should be aware that your customers want a way to send an individual promo code or gift code to EACH CONTACT within a delivery, not just the whole delivery group.

It would probably require a way to upload a batch of codes and then parse the codes one at a time until the batch runs out.

Can this idea be resurrected? I know I'm not the only Bronto customer that really wants this kind of feature. This topic appears to be closed prematurely after David answered Louisa's question regarding HTML in content tags, but the original proposal still remains very relevant to the needs of many Bronto users.

• Cynthia QuoCynthia Quo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this switched from completed, so I can vote on it.
        We are having a very similar problem. We need to use a dynamic value (changes for every segment, every message/delivery) as a parameter appended to every URL in the message.
        If we could use dynamic code in a content tag, this would be fairly simple, however, since dynamic code is not allowed in a content tag, it is so cumbersome as to be almost impossible.
        I think the simplest solution would be to allow a value like list name or segment description (or create a new field that is part of the list or segment) to be used as a special field.

• David TysonAdminDavid Tyson (Product Manager, Bronto Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Louisa - I did a test on this and I was able to add text only into a content tag. I was then able to use this content tag as part of a URL by simply inserting %%@tagname%% into the appropriate place with the URL. I then sent a test message to verify that the data was appropriately inserted into the URL. If you have any problems with this, please submit a support case.

David unfortunately after trying to use content tags I realized this is not sufficient to use within code since the content tag, at it's bare minimum, will either put div or paragraph tags around the text. It looks to be impossible to use it without it using HTML tidy or a WYSIWYG editor - what I need is a plain text output of a promotion code, nothing else. The main purpose of the promotional code is for use within URL strings as a parameter so it just needs to be plain text. Any way to turn the WYSWYG editor off or to edit out tags in the value?

Hi David - the promotion code would be unique for every send of the email basically. This would work but let me ask then, we would have to create a content tag for each email we created, right? I wish it were more automated but this may do until a workaround gets sorted! :) I could at least use this tag in a template and then when the next person comes along to create campaigns out of the template they could simply just update the content tag to the newest code?

• David TysonDavid Tyson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Louisa - I'd like to give you some information on how to accomplish this through Content Tags. Can you tell me if this promotion code would be unique for every individual or if it is simply unique across the campaign?

If the promotion code is unique for the campaign, then content tags would work perfectly. Take a look at http://brontoversity.com/2010/06/08/reusing-content-with-content-tags/ for information on how to utilize the Content Tags. You can also review http://brontoversity.com/2010/09/14/strategies-for-implementing-content-tags/.

Preston, we are still searching for a work-around, can you give some detail into how to use it using content tags?

Preston can you give some detail into how to use it using content tags?

Feedback and Knowledge Base