I suggest you ...

Allow API to report only contacts with specific field data

Currently, if you want to generate a report via the API containing only those contacts with specific field data (i.e. contacts whose "zip" field contains "10001"), you must pull the entire contacts table, sort, and discard all contacts that are not a match. This request is to selectively pull only those contacts that match the specific field data requested.

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jennifer LeoneJennifer Leone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jennifer LeoneJennifer Leone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Preston, please see Kwan's comment: "There is no API call for adding segment. If a field is really dynamic(such as ZIP), we should create 100,000 segment for all zip code manually, But this is nearly impossible." Will an addSegment call be created as well?

• Onur OkyayOnur Okyay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also use the segment method to get the contacts with specific field data. But the main problem is refreshing the segment. We need a function to refresh the segment through the API. Without refreshing, reading the contacts from a segment is useless.

For example; I can create segment which filters contacts by a datetime field that has a value within last couple of hours. So manually refreshing a segment isn't feasible in such a case.

• BrontoAdminBronto (Product Management, Bronto Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are expanding the scope of coverage for segments to be able to include contacts with any status (active, transactional, bounced, unsubscribed, etc.).

So you should be able to use it for the reporting purposes that you are thinking of.

• Jennifer LeoneJennifer Leone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Segments are definitely the way to do this. We are looking at how we can provide an addSegment and updateSegment call via the API."

But don't segments only report active or bounced contacts? We were hoping to use such an API option for automated reporting purposes, regardless of status of the contact.

• Marty WesleyMarty Wesley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Segments are definitely the way to do this. We are looking at how we can provide an addSegment and updateSegment call via the API.

• Kwan Woo ParkKwan Woo Park commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Ricardo,
        But, there is no API call for adding segment.
        If a field is really dynamic(such as ZIP), we should create 100,000 segment for all zip code manually, But this is nearly impossible.

• Ricardo LoweRicardo Lowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think I can do this already using SegmentObject.
        We can create a SegmentObject with SegmentRuleObjects containing the criteria we wish to search for. We can then call for ReadSegmentsResponse to the get the Contacts out of the SegmentObjects returned.

Feedback and Knowledge Base