I suggest you ...

Append "test" to subject lines for test sends

There are times (ok, LOTS of times) when we send more than one test in a campaign. It'd be swell if these were clearly identifiable in the inbox. Automagically adding [Test] (or something similar) at the beginning of test send subject lines would be helpful.

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Margaret LawlorMargaret Lawlor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are reviewing this again to put it on the plan and are currently looking at the approach mentioned in the comment from 2/17. In the mean time, please add them to a list so you do not miss out on gathering metrics for your send.

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nevin ShalitNevin Shalit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised this was suggested in 2011 and hasn't been done yet. Coming from another ISP, the lack of a "PREVIEW:" or "TEST:" in front of the the subject line on test sends is definitely a shortcoming. It's dangerous to add this manually because we're all human, and at least once during the year someone on our team is going to forget to remove it. Making this the default on all test messages, perhaps with an option in settings to remove it or to select your specific test word, would be ideal.

This seems like an easy thing to add to Bronto. Any hopes of seeing it soon?

• Chris BChris B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely that would work. Fairly often I send an invitation to customers and if their email bounces, sales works to get the correct address or to have them whitelist us. Then I want to re-send to just that individual (or 2 or 3) without having to figure out a segment or create a list of 1.

I don't put TEST in the Subject - just in the optional note that will appear as pre-text. Maybe you don't use that when you test. It's great to ask questions or things for the reviewers to look for. The alternatives are creating a segment to capture one person, a LIST of one person or forwarding from personal email. None seem to be good options to me.

• AshfordAshford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having "Test" in the subject line of one straggler is much preferable to sending it to an entire list if you forget to manually delete it before sending.

Besides, when you send a test, I believe the metrics are not captured with the rest of the reporting--not major for stragglers, but I would think not a best practice.

Who would I SEND to? You can only send to lists or segments, not individual email addresses. But in the Send Test mode, you CAN enter individual email addresses. Sometimes I include a message, such as Mary Ann asked me to send this to you again... But more often I want it to be seamless to the customer.

• Alessandra SouersAlessandra Souers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris - why not just hit 'send' instead of 'send test message' for those stragglers, then? Maybe I'm missing something here.

That SOUNDS like a good idea, but on occasion I send a 'test' as a real email, to a straggler whose email address was corrected for example and I like having control over the subject line. (Not having it say TEST) I just put a message in the optional notes box when I send a test: Test 1, Test 2, etc.

Feedback and Knowledge Base