Give Feedback

Trigger a workflow simply from a customer already being a member of a segment.

Currently to trigger a workflow it is triggered when someone becomes a member of a segment. Often I want to trigger a workflow (multi step promotion for example) and I have to do a merge into list to start it. Why can't we start it when someone is simply part of a segment?

4 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brannon J shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ian Marquis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The workaround we've been using for this is:

1. Create a new segment that meets all of the criteria for your new workflow.
    2. Add another "and" condition that can't be met (e.g. first name = "sadfghtdfgsardfghxd")
    3. Save the segment.
    4. Build the workflow and set it to trigger on segment membership. Save and activate it.
    5. Wait 30 minutes just to be safe, then un-break your segment and save it.

We've used this for many field reflows and contact updates, and our strategist confirmed it was probably the best way to accomplish what we needed given the current state of workflows.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!! Like a "run workflow" button to trigger it. Workflows are a pain in the butt to trigger for what we like to use them for

• AdminBronto (Product Management, Bronto Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Brannon,

Right now our Workflow system is set to work when "an action" occurs. It could be the action of making a purchase, opening a Webform, changing field data, etc, but the change needs to occur first. Because your customers are already a member of the segment, there is no action that the Workflows will see -- unless, as you said, you move them to a list or change their data in some way.

That said, there are a number of Automation tickets open that request more manual control over Workflow triggering. This includes blocking a contact from triggering a Workflow, scheduling for a specific date or time, Automation-only frequency caps - and others.

Your scenario of knowing the group of contacts you want, but having to take "unnecessary" action for the Workflow to trigger, is not uncommon and is one we've discussed before. I'm going to escalate your ticket to our Automation team and get their feedback or suggestions. It's possible that they already have something planned to help with this, and as I get any updates from them I will report back on this ticket.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to reach out if there was anything else you needed.

Thanks!
    Jocelyn @ Bronto

Join the UX Brigade!

Bronto’s User Experience team is interested in hearing from you. Would you like to participate?

Schedule Time Now

Feedback and Knowledge Base