Give Feedback

Capitalization Formatting for Custom Fields

We would like to be able to make it so when we pull in the first name field into our message that we can make it appear in uppercase. At the minute to do this, we would need to export the contacts, capitalise the first name and then reimport them.

Having a text transformation option in the WYSIWYG editor would be better for this.

12 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tom Austin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Corey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, and our previous ESP offered this. I'd like to add to this the ability to "proper case" words, that is, to capitalize only the first letter of each word. This is imperative for formatting names being inserted into the subject lines and/or the body of an email.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is merely case transformation so that we don't look like imbeciles to our subscribers. I don't consider it manipulation. Mass exporting/importing takes forever, and garners unreliable results...so cleaning up fields at this level is just not ideal. Maybe something like {proper}%%first_name%%{/proper}

• Liona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See Oracle Responsys Built In Functions to see all the different ways they allow people to manipulate passed fields

It would be really great to allow us to manipulate and format API Message Fields and regular Message Fields in a way similar to the Date Format function that was recently added.

This way when we can control how entered data appears (ie. Samantha vs samantha vs SAMANTHA) for more natural personalization.

Another use case is to extract portions of data from passed fields instead of printing the entire string. This would be useful for API Message Tag passed dates, or to print only a portion of what has been passed instead of creating a whole new API Message Tag.

It would be great to have several options not just Camel Case/Proper, but all lowercase, all uppercase.

Oracle Responsys has this feature in its Built In Functions.

• AdminBronto (Product Management, Bronto Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for submitting this suggestion. It is one we've heard before, but was declined as we had a policy of not modifying your field data. Earlier this year though, we released a new "Format Date" tag to allow you to control how a date displays in a message - MM/DD/YY, YYYY-MM-DD, etc (see below for blog article). I could see us using this same logic to create a "capitalization" tag that could be used on text-based fields. Let me send this ticket over to our Content team and get their thoughts.

http://blog.bronto.com/product/date-new-formatting-options-arrived/

In the meantime, rather than importing, exporting and re-importing, there is an Excel function that make the process simpler. This help article from Microsoft will help walk you through how it works. I've actually used the PROPER() function myself to fix the same type of data you mention!

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-the-case-of-text-01481046-0fa7-4f3b-a693-496795a7a44d

Thanks Tom, and don't hesitate to reach out if there was anything else I could assist with!
    Jocelyn @ Bronto

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a function to field tags to override how a field was originally formatted. In other words, if a customer used all caps when entering their name to a field capture, we would have the ability to send a personalization with their name in a format of our choosing. Dear KELLY, to render as Dear Kelly instead when personalizing a message. Wishing there was a way to create a function of choosing title case or use a first or last name initial when setting up the variables within personalization over how the data was communicated within the original fields or data capture.

• fsuinnc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the request is to have Bronto interfere with our data. It seems like a customer asking for a function to be added so that we can manipulate our data within Bronto. It seems much more reasonable to allow a function to make the name "Proper" for emailing without needing to export my entire file and re-import it. Bronto webforms are created to add manage my contacts. Then I should remove the data from Bronto, manipulate it and put it back?

• Nevin Shalit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "proper" function would be a great addition to the dynamic content feature. Lots of times people enter their names or cities in all caps. So if you make a dynamic subject, it will show up as "Thanks for signing up, HARRY. Here's your coupon!"

The "proper" command would render this as "Thanks for signing up, Harry. Here's your coupon!"

Maybe something like {proper%%FirstName%%} or whatever??

• Lindsey Stern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the webform to have a functionality that defaults to a capital first letter when subscribers are filing out certain fields, like first and last name.

Join the UX Brigade!

Bronto’s User Experience team is interested in hearing from you. Would you like to participate?

Schedule Time Now

Feedback and Knowledge Base