Give Feedback

Sample variable data for testing please

Have some sample data that can be used in the previews. Right now it's hard to see what the emails will look like. Just one value for each var, and a few for looping vars would be pretty awesome

1 vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jonas Cooper shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminBronto (Product Management, Bronto Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good morning Jonas,

There may actually be a feature that can give you what you're looking for. I'll outline the steps here, but if you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out to our Support Department.

1) Go to Tables > Search Contacts and find any active contact in your account, which has the sample data you're looking for.
    2) Edit the contact with the option in the upper right.
    3) On the first General tab, check the checkbox labelled "Enable this contact for use in dynamic preview testing".
    4) Select to Save & Close.
    5) Open and edit your desired message.
    6) Select "Show Preview" in the upper right-hand corner.
    7) When the preview window appears, scroll to the bottom and find the pulldown menu labelled "Preview for Contact".
    8) The email address of the contact selected in step 1 should appear here. Select that option
    9) The message preview will refresh and show the content as this recipient would receive it. All personalization would populate and you can verify the rendering, etc.

You're welcome to complete steps 1 through 4 as many times as you'd like, to set a few different contact types for preview. Once you set that checkbox, the list of contacts should remain in the preview list until they unsubscribe or bounce.

One thing to note is that Product data is not yet previewable in this fashion. There is an existing ticket for this, linked below, which I've been keeping updated as I receive more information from Engineering. Feel free to add your votes to that ticket - it really does make a difference!

http://ideas.bronto.com/forums/74207-ideas-bronto-com/suggestions/10236735-realtime-producttag-usage-and-preview

Let me know your thoughts on this Jonas, or if there was something else I could assist with. Thanks so much!
    - Jocelyn @ Bronto

• Jonas Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Joecelyn,

Order data would work as that would have at least one product and one customer. You could use New Order v3 in our account. It could be one generic set of sample data for pretty much everyone, just a "John Doe" set of information that could be swapped out for the template variables, then the user could hit "Preview with sample data" and it'd swap out %%firstName#%% with "John", etc in the preview to give us a look at a "real" email.

• AdminBronto (Product Management, Bronto Software) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jonas,

Could you give me a little bit more information on what type of data you're looking for? Is it order or product data? Is there a specific message within your account that I can use as an example?

Thanks for the additional clarification, Jonas!
    - Jocelyn @ Bronto

Join the UX Brigade!

Bronto’s User Experience team is interested in hearing from you. Would you like to participate?

Schedule Time Now

Feedback and Knowledge Base